HOST A STEM PARTNER
Ready to engage a STEM Partner in your classroom? Teachers utilizing the Indiana Science Initiative (ISI) or Project Lead The Way (PLTW) curriculums are currently eligible to request a STEM Partner.
PROJECT LEAD THE WAY (PLTW)
Project Lead The Way provides transformative learning experiences for K-12 students and teachers across the U.S. by creating an engaging, hands-on classroom environment and empowering students to develop the in-demand knowledge and skills they need to thrive. PLTW provides teachers with the training, resources and support they need to engage students in real-world learning.
Learn more about PLTW here.
INDIANA SCIENCE INITIATIVE (ISI)
The Indiana Science Initiative helps K-8 teachers effectively integrate inquiry-based learning curricula into their classrooms. The curriculum aligns with the Indiana State Science Standards. ISI's learning model allows students to develop deep knowledge and understanding of science concepts through a series of hands-on activities and guided explorations.
Learn more about ISI here.
Click here to fill out the 2018-19 STEM Partner request form or contact STEMPartners@techpointyouth.org for more information.
what exactly will my stem partner do?
Your STEM Partner will serve as a great learning resource for you and your students during their time in your class!
what is the time commitment?
We ask STEM Partners to commit to volunteering in your classroom for 4-6 hours each month. When you first meet your STEM Partner, you should plan to spend at least a half an hour to talk with them about expectation and what visit schedule might work best for you. Some teachers and STEM Partners may then choose to have the partner visit the classroom for one hour per week. Other may choose to have the partner visit for two hours every other week. You and your STEM Partner can arrange a schedule that works best for both of you.
when will my stem partner start?
This will depend on when your STEM Partner signs up! The majority of STEM Partners will reach out to you at the beginning of the semester but we do have folks who sign up throughout the course of the school year.
WHAT are my responsibilities?
What are my stem partners' RESPONSIBILITIES?
STEM Partners responsibilities during their time in your classroom are to:
- Assure students understand the lesson
- Ask students probing questions to encourage deeper understanding of their experiments or problems
- Reinforce the importance of good documentation
- Monitor their work to reinforce good efforts and help guide where there are struggles
- Make connections between the work they are doing and real - life applications in STEM professions
- Share interesting stories, experiences, and their path to becoming a STEM professional
- Be a role model by showing that anyone can pursue a STEM career, if they think critically and work hard
- Have fun and enjoy learning with and from the students!