Robotics Start-up Grant - Middle schools - Terms & Conditions
Interested applicants should review the following terms and conditions before applying. If the applicant still has questions or concerns, please contact us at RobotGrant@techpointyouth.org.
1. Applicant must be an Indiana Middle School educator, who is currently working with either 6th, 7th or 8th grade students.
The SRI grant committee believes that requiring the prospective Robotics Educator to commit to their role from the beginning of the application process demonstrates the school’s dedication to the program, therefore leading to a greater potential for success. Early commitment from the future Robotics Educator also ensures the individual is aware of all Terms and Conditions outlined in the State Robotics Grant.
2. Applicant’s school does not already have a middle school VEX IQ Robotics team
The objective of this grant is to make robotics education accessible to Indiana students who otherwise would not have the opportunity to compete on a team. If your school already has a middle VEX IQ team, please contact RobotGrant@techpointyouth.org for other possibilities.
3. Applicant will have the ability to assemble a robotics team of at least three 6th-8th grade students.
Typical team sizes range from 3-12 students. It can be beneficial for both teachers and students to start with smaller team numbers. A larger team will likely require additional robot kits. Teams can consist of students from multiple grades.
4. Applicant agrees to attend a robotics training session if awarded the grant
We are dedicated to ensuring your confidence with the starting a robotics team and understanding the robotics kit. Required professional development workshops will be held at an Ivy Tech campus near your school.
5. Applicant will coordinate team attendance to one VEX IQ robotics competition event
Awarded applicants will be expected to attend one competitions. Educators and their teams will have so much fun that they will likely want to compete as much as they can. Local competitions are typically around $30.
6. Applicant agrees to include TechPoint Foundation for Youth & major sponsor logos on any team t-shirts, websites, flyers, or other promotional material
Most teams will make t-shirts, websites, promotional material and other SWAG - we just ask that you recognize TechPoint Foundation for Youth and other key sponsors. We will even give you stickers to put on your robot!.
7. Applicant agrees to lead a VEX IQ robotics middle team for two years (2019-20 and 2020-21 school year)
This grant is designed to provide resources that educators might not otherwise have access to. Our hope is that this grant will get educators, students, and parents excited about robotics and STEM education, leading to the expansion of this type of programming at each participating school. TechPoint Foundation for Youth will also help pair STEM volunteers with each interested robotics team to help bring real-world experiences into the classroom so that students can better understand what STEM professionals do for careers.
8. Applicant agrees to actively encourage elementary schools within their district to apply for a Robotics Start-up for Elementary schools until each elementary school within your district has a robotics team.
We believe that students should have a pathway of robotics opportunities that leads them through their academic career. TechPoint Foundation for Youth is committed to providing Elementary, Middle school and eventually High School Robotics Start-Up grants however we need robotic educators to help promote the value of having a robotics team at their school and sharing with fellow educators the many benefits robotics teams have on students.
8. Applicant agrees to complete pre- and post-surveys as the Robotics Educator as well as ensure completion of surveys from students and any volunteer mentors
We want to measure the impact of this grant. We will provide an easy to use, online based survey for each involved party to complete. Completion of these surveys will also help us improve our process.